Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nice to meet you

My name is Ryan and I'm in my 4th year of building decks and fences. My interest in the industry has been growing each day since I started and can't stop thinking about that next project I can add to my portfolio.

I started out working for a local deck and fence company as a summer job in my first year of university. I enjoyed it so much I continued to work for them well into the fall up until exam time came rolling around. At that point, I had still not developed the builder perspective since I was never in charge of jobs or had much responsibility.

The following summer I was asked by a friend to build a 1000 square foot pool deck, I jumped at the opportunity. This was the first time I was able to show myself as well as others exactly what I was capable of building. The project turned out great and still remains as my signature image for my company.

After have such a great experience with my first solo project, I began working small jobs for friends and family building fences. I knew I had a knack for the building side of it but still wasn't sure as to how I would be able to handle the business side of it.

The next summer I decided to take a leap and submit my business plan to my local small business center in hopes for funding in the form of a government student company grant. This was a great program for any student looking at opening a small business because they provided you with 'mentors' in your community and you had the opportunity to discuss business strategies with other student small business owners bi-weekly.

After a month into the program I knew I was off to a great start in comparison to my peers. I had clearly been the most profitable out of the other grant recipients and definitely the most driven. Although I would never suggest for anyone to compare themselves to their peers because I don't believe it to be a good measure of success. Set realistic goals, and then set dream goals so you always know that you have something you're working towards.